GRAVEDIGGER V

GRAVEDIGGER V

Monday, September 24, 2012

" BEAT YOUR HEART OUT " The ZEROS Live in Valencia


          This past Saturday night the Zeros performed live in Valencia at the Magazine Club. I was looking forward to seeing my long time friends again. We are all from San Diego, California. They being from the South part "Chula Vista" and myself from the East County "El Cajon", which for some reason most español people find the names somewhat humors. For me the "Zeros "where super important, just as much as the "Ramones"in introducing me to "Punk Rock". For those of you who don't know the History of the band I will give you a little back round on them.
The Zeros  1976
    The Zeros where formed in "Chula Vista", San Diego in 1976 by Javier Escovedo, (guitar, vocals) Robert Lopes, (guitar, vocals) Hector Penalosa, (bass) and Baba Chenelle, (drums). After playing one of their first shows in Los Angeles at the famous "Troubadour" club. Notable was that this was the 1st show for the opening band called "The Germs", with the Zeros next and headlining the show "The Weirdos". 
The Zeros Live @ The Troubadour,  Los Angeles 1977
        Shortly thereafter they would sign up with "Greg Shaw's Bomp Records". In 1977 they would release their 1st record on the "Bomp" label. A 7" featuring the song "Wimp" backed by "Don't push me around." Greg Shaw was really one of the 1st companies to start recording the punk bands with Bomp releasing records not only by the Zeros, but also "The Weirdos", "Iggy and the Stooges", " Stiv Bators", "Devo", "Modern Lovers", "Dmz", "The Romantics", "Spaceman 3", "The Germs" . . . just to name a few.  And in the early Eighties would create "Bomp- Voxx" label for the booming "Garage Punk" Renaissance that was taking place. Releasing such artists as "The Pandoras", "The Gravedigger V", "The Tale-Tell Hearts", "The Miracle Workers", "The Primates", "The Dwarves", "The Morlocks", just to name a few.

Bomp records "Wimp" b/w "Don't push me around"
   The concert last Saturday night in Valencia was a good time had by all. In my opinion the turn-out was a little small , but what lacked in numbers was made up of crazy fans of "The Zeros" and of true "Punk Rock" with everyone dancing, jumping around, singing and generally getting "fucked up" making "Magazine Club" a hot sweaty pit. "The Dream Syndicate" was playing the same night in "Valencia" and with the crisis here in España it wasn't a "bad" turnout. I've seen "The Dream Syndicate" many times in Los Angeles during the Eighties, they where part of the so-called, "paisley underground", ( I always hated that term, made up by the press ) which included bands like "The Long Ryders", "Green on Red", etc. . . I usually found these bands live shows kind of boring. I have to say out of that genre of bands "Rain Parade" was my favorite of the bunch. They later went on to commercial success adding singer "Hope Sandavol" and changing their name to "Mazzy Star". I was honored to be asked to come up and sing "Don't Push Me Around". I just want to state for the record that I wasn't trying to sing the vocal , just the backing vocals, cause everyone including my Wife was like hahahah or jajajajjaja you forgot the lyrics.
      So I got give up to the Zeros and take my hat of to them. It's pretty rare these days that you can go see ( in my opinion ) such an important band still playing live with all it's original members, dating back to 1977, still churning out that good ole dirty rock and roll. It's really quite remarkable. Take it from someone who knows. The Zeros have about a Week left of gigs here in España , so if their going to be in your town I strongly suggest that you go and see the show.
"WHAT YOU SAY GIRL"
           Future plans for the Zeros? Who knows the future? What do you know think this is "Psychic Friends Network"!!! I can tell you that Robert aka "El Vez" continues his successful solo carer as "El Vez" and as an actor and playwright. Meanwhile Javier continues to write and record his solo projects , which I think are very underrated , see for yourself!!!
        So just some quick thanks to a few people for making the show happen. First to the Zeros for putting on the kind of show that we have become accustomed to. To all our friends at "Magazine Club", Varo and Paloma, and to my Wife Carola, (it was her Birthday and she put up with me acting a fool) !!!!
*****************************************************************************
                                     LONG LIVE THE ZEROS !!!!!!!!!!!

"EL VEZ"



****  LEIGHTON KOIZUMI

YOU CALL THIS A TORTILLA ???


2 comments:

  1. I have seen The Zeros for three or four times. All their shows are amazing. I was in valencia's concert and today I have still their songs beating in my head. VIVAN THE ZEROS.
    Suso

    ReplyDelete